Majors, minors + certificates

Specialization in PR and Strategic Communication (Bachelor of Arts in Journalism) (JORS30)The Media School

Students on Summer 2019, Fall 2019, or Spring 2020 requirements.

Specialization requirements

The specialization requires at least 9 credit hours, including the requirements listed below.

  1. PR and Strategic Communication. Three (3) courses from the .
    • P: A grade of C- or higher in MSCH-C 101 or MSCH-H 101; and MSCH-C 208 or MSCH-R 321. Theories and principles relevant to public relations research and strategic planning, including development of goals and objectives, client relationships, budgets, and research methods. (3 credit hours.)
    • P: A grade of C- or higher in MSCH-C 101 or MSCH-H 101; and MSCH-C 225 or MSCH-H 225; and MSCH-C 208 or MSCH-R 321. Develops the professional writing skills expected of beginning public relations practitioners, including different approaches required for a variety of audiences and media. Focus on the basics of good writing as well as the art of writing. Brush up on AP style. Learn how to work effectively with real-world clients. Credit given for only one of JOUR-J 349 or MSCH-R 349. (3 credit hours.)
    • P: A grade of C- or higher in MSCH-R 348. Development and execution of a public relations campaign for a non-profit organization. Public relations theory and in-depth care study analysis. Develop a campaign proposal to meet a client's business objectives and learn how to pitch it. Part of the course focuses on media relations and crisis communications training. Credit given for only one of JOUR-J 429 or MSCH-R 429. (3 credit hours.)
  2. GPA, Minimum Grade, and Other Requirements. Each of the following:
    1. Except for the GPA requirement, a grade of C- or higher is required for a course to count toward a requirement in the specialization.
    2. A GPA of at least 2.000 for all courses taken in the specialization—including those where a grade lower than C- is earned—is required.
    3. Exceptions to specialization requirements may be made with the approval of the department's Director of Undergraduate Studies, subject to final approval by the College of Arts and Sciences.