Skip to main content

Credit from Other Institutions, by Examination, and for Other Prior Learning

Policy statement

This policy addresses in what circumstances credit can be awarded for learning that occured outside of Indiana University.

Transfer credit

Consistent with Indiana University Bloomington policy, acceptance of credit from other institutions is determined by the Indiana University Office of Admissions. The applicability of credit toward degree requirements in the College of Arts and Sciences will be determined
by the Executive Dean of the College through the College’s Office of Undergraduate Curriculum, Policy, and Records and in consultation with the appropriate faculty.

Certain types of credit, including some engineering and technical courses, cannot be applied as credit toward a degree program in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Only credits earned at Indiana University will count toward a student's cumulative and major grade point averages.

Credit by examination

Students may earn credit by examination if an appropriate score is attained in any of the

  1. Nationally and internationally recognized exam as required by law and/or that has been vetted by the appropriate faculty and approved by the College, including:
    1. College Board Advanced Placement (AP) exams
    2. SAT Subject Tests
    3. British-style Advanced-level exams
    4. International Baccalaureate (IB)
    5. College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  2. Departmentally administered proficiency (or other) exam that has been vetted by the appropriate faculty and approved by the College:
    1. All units offering foreign language beyond the second year: special credit for Foreign language at the intermediate (2nd year) level, consistent with the Foreign Language Special Credit (COLL-UG 1004) policy
    2. Biology: Biology Exemption Exam (special credit for BIOL-E 111 and/or BIOL-E 112)
    3. Mathematics: Exemption Exams for MATH-M 118, MATH-M 119, MATH-M 211, and MATH-M 212 (special credit for MATH-M 118, MATH-M 119, MATH-M 211, and MATH-M 212, respectively)
    4. Chemistry: Chemistry Exam (special credit for CHEM-C 101 and/or CHEM-C 121)

Credit by examination will be recorded with the grade of S (Satisfactory) unless the examination clearly merits an A grade and the department requests (and the College’s Office of Undergraduate Curriculum, Policy, and Records approves) the use of a grade other than S. Failure to earn the minimum score required carries no academic penalty.

Tuition fees for special credit are typically waived if the student is in undergraduate status and enrolled in at least 12 credit hours during the term the credit is posted to the student’s record and the term is fall or spring. Regular credit-hour rates apply for graduate students as well as undergraduate students enrolled in fewer than 12 credit hours.

Other credit

The College does not award credit for prior learning other than the situations indicated above.

Undistributed credit

Undistributed credit—transfer or exam credit in a College discipline but for which there is no equivalent IUB course—may only apply toward a major, minor, or certificate program by approval of the academic unit that manages the program, subject to final approval by the College. For students pursuing the Bachelor of Arts degree, undistributed credit in the same academic area as the major academic program may not count toward the “College Breadth” requirement. Undistributed credit may fulfill College of Arts and Sciences Education (CASE) requirements at the request of the appropriate academic unit, subject to final approval by the College.

  • 2022-05-01: This policy consolidates and expands what was COLL-UG 1014 Transfer Credit and COLL-UG 1010 Credit by Examination.

About this policy

Policy ID:

Courses and Credit Hours

Version Date: