Cognitive Science Program
Students on Summer 2021, Fall 2021, or Spring 2022 requirements COGS-HON
Students interested in pursuing graduate study should give serious consideration to the Cognitive Science honors program. An honors degree is likely to provide an advantage in graduate school applications, communicating commitment, motivation, and advanced achievement.
In the honors program, students gain research skills, in-depth knowledge of a particular cognitive science area, and working contact with individual faculty members. Completion of an independent project and an honors thesis allows candidates to transform their research interests into focused investigation, original project development, and coherent presentation of research results.
- Honors Thesis. One (1) course:
- COGS-Q 499 Honors Research Project in the Cognitive and Information Sciences
COGS-Q 499 Honors Research Project in the Cognitive and Information Sciences
- Consent of director of undergraduate studies obtained by application
- Methods of research in cognitive science are analyzed. Students present their projects for discussion and analysis.
- May be repeated for a maximum of 12 credit hours.
- GPA and Hours Requirements.
- Students must have a College GPA of 3.300 or higher to qualify for admission to a Departmental Honors program and to receive Departmental Honors. Units may set a higher College GPA.
- Units establish additional criteria, including admissions procedures, academic performance standards, and whether there are required courses, papers, or projects.
- Students who wish to earn honors in two different units must complete a distinct body of work for each honors notation.
Exceptions to and substitutions for honors requirements may be made with the approval of the unit's Director of Undergraduate Studies, subject to final approval by the College of Arts and Sciences.
Application for admission to the cognitive science honors program may be made during the sophomore or junior year to the director of undergraduate studies in cognitive science. Students must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.300 to be eligible for consideration.