Specialization in Creative Industry Management (Bachelor of Arts in Media) (MDAS05)The Media School
The specialization requires at least 9 credit hours, including the requirements listed below.
- Creative Industry Management. Three (3) courses from the following:
- P: A grade of C- or higher in MSCH-C 223 or TEL-T 206; and in MSCH-C 228 or TEL-T 283; or consent of instructor. The management of commercial and noncommercial telecommunications projects, including television and news media. Organizational, economic/ business, and legal aspects of production management. Credit given for only one of MSCH-M 330 or TEL-T 330. (3 credit hours.)
- In the complex new media age people who create and distribute content constantly intersect with an equally complex legal environment. This course explores legal issues such as contracts and permissions; intellectual property and service-marks; privacy and fraud; slander and libel; and employment and unions. (3 credit hours.)
- Examines the social, economic, and cultural forces that influence the creation of programs and genres in the media industries. Topic varies, but may explore the role of networks, advertisers, studios, and independent producers. Credit given for only one of CMCL-C 411 or MSCH-M 411. (3 credit hours.)
- (approved topics only; see academic advisor) P: A grade of C- or higher in MSCH-C 207 or TEL-T 207; or consent of instructor. Advanced study of media from a global perspective focusing on particulars, trends, or issues. Topics vary. Credit given for only one of MSCH-M 413 or TEL-T 413. (3 credit hours.)
- P: A grade of C- or higher in MSCH-C 207; or consent of instructor. Analysis of market structure and behavior of firms and organizations in broadcasting, cable television, motion picture distribution, print media, common carrier, and other communications industries. Policy and strategy applications. Credit given for only one of MSCH-M 421 or TEL-T 421. (3 credit hours.)
- P: A grade of C- or higher in MSCH-C 207; or consent of instructor. Study of the skill, processes, and attitudes required for effective management and leadership at all levels in telecommunications operations. Credit given for only one of MSCH-M 446 or TEL-T 446. (3 credit hours.)
- (approved topics only; see academic advisor) P: A grade of C- or higher in MSCH-C 101 or MSCH-H 101; and MSCH-C 223. Exploration of management or strategic problems and issues in telecommunications. Topics vary. May be repeated with different topics for a maximum of 6 credit hours in MSCH-M 453 and TEL-T 453. (1–3 credit hours.)
- GPA, Minimum Grade, and Other Requirements. Each of the following:
- Except for the GPA requirement, a grade of C- or higher is required for a course to count toward a requirement in the specialization.
- A GPA of at least 2.000 for all courses taken in the specialization—including those where a grade lower than C- is earned—is required.
- Exceptions to specialization requirements may be made with the approval of the department's Director of Undergraduate Studies, subject to final approval by the College of Arts and Sciences.