Specialization in Digital Journalism (Bachelor of Arts in Media) (MDAS06)The Media School
The specialization requires at least 9 credit hours, including the requirements listed below.
- Digital Journalism. Three (3) courses from the following:
- (approved topics only; see academic advisor) Topical course dealing with changing subjects and material from term to term. May be repeated for credit with different topics in JOUR-J 360 and MSCH-J 360. (1–4 credit hours.)
- P: MSCH-C 101. Introduction to the design, creation, and maintenance of websites and mobile platforms. Students learn design standards and how to apply them in the design of messages using multiple media. Course progresses from introductory work on web design to a culminating project employing responsive design. (3 credit hours.)
- P: MSCH-C 226. Study and practice in using techniques of multimedia reporting in collaboration with writers and photographers. Students learn to pitch, shape and focus story ideas that forge words and pictures into multimedia presentations. Class will plan, report and edit news stories in depth. May be repeated with a different topic for a maximum of 6 credit hours. (3 credit hours.)
- (approved topics only; see academic advisor) P: Junior or senior standing. Topical seminar dealing with changing subjects and materials from term to term. May be repeated for credit with different topics in JOUR-J 460 and MSCH-J 460. (1–4 credit hours.)
- P: A grade of C- or higher in JOUR-J 463 or MSCH-J 463. Analysis of quantitative data and creation of visual informational graphics for media audiences. Introduction to interactive data visualization through scripting and online tools. Creation of chart packages, data maps and explanatory diagrams for publication to mass and targeted audiences. Credit given for only one of JOUR-J 464 or MSCH-J 464. (3 credit hours.)
- GPA, Minimum Grade, and Other Requirements. Each of the following:
- Except for the GPA requirement, a grade of C- or higher is required for a course to count toward a requirement in the specialization.
- A GPA of at least 2.000 for all courses taken in the specialization—including those where a grade lower than C- is earned—is required.
- Exceptions to specialization requirements may be made with the approval of the department's Director of Undergraduate Studies, subject to final approval by the College of Arts and Sciences.