Specialization in Game Audio (Bachelor of Arts in Media) (MDAS10)The Media School
The specialization requires at least 9 credit hours, including the requirements listed below.
- Game Audio. Three (3) courses from the following:
- (approved topics only; see academic advisor) Topical course dealing with changing subjects and material from term to term. May be repeated for credit with different topics in JOUR-J 360 and MSCH-J 360. (1–4 credit hours.)
- P: A grade of C- or higher in MSCH-C 223 or TEL-T 206; and in MSCH-C 228 or TEL-T 283; and consent of instructor. Intermediate-level hands-on production course that concentrates on the planning and production of audio materials for radio, video, and interactive media. Topics include sound theory, recording, and editing. Includes analog and digital technologies. Credit given for only one of MSCH-P353 or TEL-T 353. (3 credit hours.)
- P: A grade of C- or higher in MSCH-C 228, MSCH-G 320, TEL-T 283, or TEL-T 284; or consent of instructor. Lab fee required. Develops basic sound design technique for linear and nonlinear media (video, animation, games, and interactive content). Explores basic concepts of sound in the context of audiovisual relationships through production and analysis. Develops media communication skills through the use of sound and image. Credit given for only one of MSCH-P 369 or TEL-T 369. (3 credit hours.)
- P: Consent of instructor and demonstrated background in MIDI and composition. Junior standing. Specialized techniques course developing students' skills in music scoring for visual media. May be repeated with different topics for a maximum of 18 credit hours. (1–3 credit hours.)
- (approved topics only; see academic advisor) Analysis of selected problems in media studies. Topics vary each semester. May be repeated with a different topic for a maximum of 6 credit hours in CMCL-C 334 and MSCH-V 334. (3 credit hours.)
- (approved topics only; see academic advisor) P: Senior standing in the Media School. Seminar exploring new developments and advanced research in media. May be repeated with a different topic for a maximum of 9 credit hours. (3 credit hours.)
- GPA, Minimum Grade, and Other Requirements. Each of the following:
- Except for the GPA requirement, a grade of C- or higher is required for a course to count toward a requirement in the specialization.
- A GPA of at least 2.000 for all courses taken in the specialization—including those where a grade lower than C- is earned—is required.
- Exceptions to specialization requirements may be made with the approval of the department's Director of Undergraduate Studies, subject to final approval by the College of Arts and Sciences.