Specialization in Game Production (Bachelor of Arts in Media) (MDAS11)The Media School
The specialization requires at least 9 credit hours, including the requirements listed below.
- Game Production. Three (3) courses from the following:
- P: MSCH-C 220 or INFO-I 210 with a grade of C- or higher. Students will learn how to make digital game prototypes gaining hands-on experience while working in teams and using game engines such as Unity and Unreal. Students will develop sound teamwork practices such as appropriate and timely communication, version control, and leadership; employ production methods such as agile and waterfall; and develop essential playtesting methods. Credit given for only one of MSCH-G 300 or TEL-T 361. (3 credit hours.)
- P: A grade of C- or higher in MSCH-G 300 or TEL-T 361. Student development teams take interactive multimedia design skills to the next level learning advanced techniques for conceiving and producing games. Course combines hands-on experience using state-of-the-art game engines and industry production methods such as Agile and Waterfall with practice in overcoming obstacles such as bugs, poor communication, absent leadership. Prototypes will be tested and the results will be reported and analyzed in statistical form. Credit given for only one of MSCH-G 400 or TEL-T 461. (3 credit hours.)
- P: A grade of C- or higher in MSCH-G 310 or TEL-T 367. This course will develop the student's ability to design game systems. Readings will be taken from systems design theory, social sciences, and engineering. Students will create systems in different software packages. (3 credit hours.)
- (must be taken for at least 3 credit hours) P: Advance approval of instructor and director of undergraduate studies. Application required. Opportunity for individual and group projects in media production and journalism; work with faculty member on individual or group basis. May be repeated for a maximum of 6 credit hours in MSCH-X 475, MSCH-X 490, and TEL-T 498. (1–6 credit hours.)
- GPA, Minimum Grade, and Other Requirements. Each of the following:
- Except for the GPA requirement, a grade of C- or higher is required for a course to count toward a requirement in the specialization.
- A GPA of at least 2.000 for all courses taken in the specialization—including those where a grade lower than C- is earned—is required.
- Exceptions to specialization requirements may be made with the approval of the department's Director of Undergraduate Studies, subject to final approval by the College of Arts and Sciences.